Benjamin Flores, CMA, MBA
San Bernardino, CA – 92404
CFO / Chief Financial / Vice President / Controller
Cost - Plant Accounting/ Finance
Manufacturing / Food Production / Plant
Hands on senior financial executive with experience in developing and executing innovative and effective financial and management programs; strong strategic perspective with tactical ability to balance short-term priorities against mission & long-term goals. A pragmatist with analytical skills and the ability to quickly identify operational inefficiencies. A skilled communicator, team player, and change leader that achieves positive bottom line impact. Experienced in R& D, Manufacturing, and Distribution entities in Lean and ISO 9001:2000 environments.
SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
Manufacturing / Operations / P&L Management / Project Management / Strategic Alliances / Multi-Plant / Operations Leadership / Supply Chain Leadership / Profit & Cost Improvement / Lean / Six Sigma Quality Leadership / Strategic Planning and Implementation / Process Improvement / Multi-Site Operations / Lean Manufacturing (5S) / Cost Accounting / Plant Accounting / Budget Planning, Trend Forecasting, FAR / DCAA Compliance / Financial Statements / Inventory Management / Change Management / Performance Analysis / Risk Management / Software Implementations / Internal Controls / SOX / Banking & Legal Relations / Policy and Process Alignment / Property, Sales and Use Tax / Production Planning / Master Data Analyst / Cost Containment / Supply Chain Management / Government Compliance
ACHIEVEMENTS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Implementation of QuickBooks Enterprise Manufacturing software & EDI; Initiating: Product Profitability reporting, Forecasting, Financial Statements, Payroll Admin, Cash Management, Risk Management
Accomplished significant operational performance improvements and tens of millions in expense reductions which resulted in reductions of breakeven point by 48%, bank debt by 85%, total debt by 50%, and inventory by 65%.
Implementation of Navision ERP software, documentation of internal controls and compliance testing for SOX section 404, reduction of cycle times for closure of WIP work orders, purchase orders, sales orders, cash collections, and forecasted inventory requirements and balances by product lines and projects.
American Naturals Company, Commerce, CA 2014 – Present
“American Naturals Company is a Fresh and Spirited, Imaginative food company that aims to consistently offer high quality, all natural food mixes formulated from America’s favorite family recipes.”
Controller / CFO
Provided financial leadership to the owners and the management team in introducing and implementing financial reporting, performance analysis, and process improvements leading to cycle time reductions to better manage cash, inventory, expenses, and improve productivity. Planed, organized, and directed the day-to-day financial control activities and business operations for privately held start-up food manufacturer.
Penguin Natural Foods, Vernon, CA 2012 - 2013
Penguin Natural Foods, Inc. was founded in 1991 by Scott Nairne. Scott had traveled extensively in Asia and found the grains and rice products there to be superior to that of the products in the United States. Utilizing those experiences, he launched Penguin Natural Foods, Inc.
Controller / CFO
Provided financial leadership to the owner and the management team in introducing and implementing positive change, performance analysis, and process improvements leading to cycle time reductions to better manage cash, inventory, expenses, and improve productivity. Planed, organized, and directed the day-to-day financial control activities and business operations for privately held private label food manufacturer.
Catalytic Solutions, Inc, Oxnard, CA 2011 - 2012
Catalytic Solutions, Inc. is now CDTi – a leader in developing and manufacturing technologies that reduce emissions from on- and off-road engine applications. We are a leading global developer and manufacturer of light-duty gasoline, heavy-duty diesel and alternative fuel emissions control systems and products..
Provided financial leadership to the General Manager and the management team in introducing and implementing change, performance analysis, and process improvements to manage cost and improve productivity. Plan, organize, and directed the financial operations for a publicly held R & D and manufacturing organization in the emission controls catalyst industry. Coordinated external CPA audits and prepared audit schedules and narratives..
DACOR, Diamond Bar, CA 2005 - 2010
American made, family-owned Dacor has been designing and manufacturing luxury kitchen appliances for three generations.
Corporate Controller / CFO
Planned, organized, and directed the financial operations, IT resources, and Product Distribution for a midsize privately held manufacturing, R & D, and service organization. A true business partner to the COO and the management team in introducing and implementing change, performance analysis, and process improvements to manage cost and improve productivity (savings millions of dollars), in a lean environment.
• Prepared, in accordance with GAAP, month end close, monthly financial reporting, and product costing
• Performed month end duties including presenting summary disclosure of financial performance including product line profitability, performance variance analysis, forecasting of cash availability and requirements, inventory balances, and rolling 12 month forecasts (P&L, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow statements), credit and collection reporting utilizing MFG/ProERP software and Excel.
• Other duties performed included annual budgeting process, banking relationship including loan covenant compliance, developing & aligning policies to maximize performance, coordination of financial and bank audits, risk management, business continuity planning, sales & use tax filings, payroll, and legal matters.
Rapiscan Systems., Hawthorne, CA 2000 – 2005
Rapiscan Systems is a global privately held company that specializes in walk-through metal detectors, and x-ray machines for airport luggage and cargo screening. The company is owned by OSI Systems
Plan, organized, and directed the financial operations for a $50 million dollar R & D, manufacturing, and service subsidiary of a public company. A true business partner to the President and the General Manager in introducing and implementing change and process improvements in a rapidly growing ISO 9001:2000 environment.
• Prepared month end close and monthly financial reporting, in accordance with GAAP / SOX
• Performed month end duties include the summary disclosure of financial performance including product line profitability, performance variance analysis, forecasting of cash requirements, and inventory balances
• Performed quarterly duties including audit schedule for CPA auditors, internal control testing ,process narratives, forecasting, sales & use tax filings
• Created cost pools for Government project allocations; prepared and submitted Government billings.
• Prepared annual budget, coordinated external CPA audit (prepared audit schedules) and DCAA audits, calculated Global construction project revenue recognition (based on Earned Value) and costs (based on cost to completion) utilizing Microsoft Dynamics Navision and Excel.
Azusa Collision Center, Azusa, CA 1993 – 2000
Director of Operations
Planned, managed, and supervised day to day site operations including project estimating, production scheduling, supply chain, AQM regulatory compliance, and accounting functions.
• Automated the estimating (Mitchell) and accounting processes (QuickBooks) and implemented employee training and certification programs (I-CAR) which reduced administrative costs, production costs, and increased sales opportunities.
• Negotiated additional supplier discounts which reduced material costs and improved profitability.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE:
IOPTEX RESEARCH INC., Irwindale, CA (manufacturing) 1991 - 1993
MANAGER OF COST ACCOUNTING
F.D.TITUS & SON, City of Industry, CA - $80 million medical distribution 1990 - 1991
MANAGER OF COST & INVENTORY ACCOUNTING
BROWN JORDAN CO, El Monte, CA. - $50 million (manufacturing) 1989 - 1990
STOODY COMPANY, City of Industry, CA - $50 million (manufacturing) 1987 - 1989
MANAGER OF COST ACCOUNTING
MBA, Major: Business Management, Azusa Pacific University - Azusa, CA
B.A., Major: Accounting, Cal State University-San Bernardino, CA
AFFILIATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
CERTIFIED MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTANT - License 40145
ISO 9001:2000 AUDITOR
USAF - NCO LEADERSHIP SCHOOL - DISTINGUISHED GRADUATE
Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Dynamics AX & Navision, MFG/Pro, AS400, Sage, QuickBooks